Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Perks of Becoming a Student Employee


My name is Kevin Aquilano, Sophomore Student Ambassador forThe Center for Career Services and Cooperative Education. As freshmen atMontclair State University, I wanted to find on-campus employment that wouldallow me to maintain a consistent work schedule and GPA. I decided to beproactive with my job search and  visitedthe Center for Career Services and Cooperative Education to discuss my options.Coincidentally, the Center was hiring and I fit the qualifications for theposition. Through my work at the Center, I learned about all the other ways togo about finding on-campus employment: Career Services Facebook and Twitterpages, the Career Directions online job board, or by attending the Part-TimeJob Fair.

There are numerous benefits to working on-campus, from theconnections I have formed with faculty and staff members, to the flexible workschedule.  It would be much moredifficult to work off-campus and schedule it around the demands of my courseload. On-campus employers care about your school work and know that you are a studenthere first. Student Workers also gain an inside perspective of how the officesare run and how different events are planned and executed.  I’ve been able to build my resume andnetworked with staff to land a summer internship.

I have had the opportunity to visit my high school to speakwith the students about my experience as a college freshman. The students oftenask if it is possible to maintain a high GPA while working on-campus. I alwaysencourage them to look for work, as I believe it is very possible to juggle anon-campus job and a full course load. It takes organization and timemanagement, but the skills I’ve developed and the connections I have madedefinitely makes it worth my energy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment